CHickens in buckets...who knew?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by umanduhbree, Sep 3, 2011.

1. umanduhbree

umanduhbree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Lacona, IA
    So my WHOLE family came out to Iowa this March and helped me build my first coop. I was trying to do this cheap, so we used a lot of left over material that we found around. When it came time for the nesting boxes, we didn't have enough wood. So my dad suggested 5 gallon buckets. He said when he was growing up on the ranch their coop had buckets that were screwed to the wall because it was easy to clean and cheap. So we went a got 5. I ordered my chicks in march and for the last 5 months I have been fretting about whether or not a chicken would indeed nest in a bucket.

[​IMG]

My chickens started laying two weeks ago, and most of the eggs were in the corner of the coop on the floor. I thought for sure my hens didn't approve of those nasty green buckets. Then a few days ago we couldn't find any eggs. We looked aroundthe yard, but none were to be seen. We thought it was their off day or the heat, but then my fiancee happened to walk into the coop to find a hen nesting in the bucket. It took some coaxing, but we got her off and in the wood chips were the missing eggs. So my dad was right, chickens will lay in buckets. And the best part is the fun picture it makes.

[​IMG]

2. thesweetone

thesweetone Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    Guelph, Ontario
    Gives new meaning to "getting a bucket of chicken"...

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yup mine do too.

Imp- I have orange HD buckets.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Great idea.

5. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Buckets for mine too. I even vultures a box for them to go into with a platform covering the top. All of my buckets fit snug with no wobble, but can also be removed without a drill. The double layer table box is mounted, buckets are not.
    [​IMG] [/img]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  6. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    Col. sanders had a similar idea....

7. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Quote:I just snorted.

8. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I love those!!! I think I might use that idea!!!

9. riverchicks

riverchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Love that idea. How ingenious. I built mine from wood but I really like the bucket idea. Makes it unique and colorful too. I will definately use the buckets on my next coop. Father knows best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by