Chickens in cities with chicken ban

Do you live in a city that bans chickens, if so, do you...

• Total voters

piakaven

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 20, 2014
Plano TX
I am curious to find out if there are lots of people who keep chicken in the cities that have a ban for them? I live in Plano TX, and I know the city ordinance regularly re-visits the chicken ban ordinance due to public request, but they only make bad chicken jokes and puns and move onto the next thing. I am sick and tired of it and want few chickens, but our lot is very small, so neighbors are very close. I would love to try to change the chicken ordinance, but also would like to hear how have people avoided the trouble having chickens if they are banned at their city? Do you have a back up plan in case you get caught? I hate to think I would have to move just for the sake of having few chickens. But also don't want to get some just to have to get rid of them. How to go about this?

Actually just curious what others have done in a this situation. I am unfortunately not moving, so will also not be able to have chickens. I am surprised how many have moved just to have chickens. I was expecting more people secretly having couple peeps, but evidently not so.
So not asking this to get recommendations what I should do, but to see what others have done.

There are a few here that keep 2 or so pet chickens inside home as pets. They dress them up in diapers. Also have ran across some that keep serama chickens inside cage in home.

Human nature being what it is, I would suggest getting the ordinances amended or if absolutely necessary , moving.

I live in an area that doesn't allow chickens, but it isn't super strict. A lot of people here do it and get away with it, as long as you don't have any obnoxious roosters. I keep a coop in my backyard and have a flock of 7 birds. Fortunately my rooster is not a frequent crower, and usually only crows a handful of times in the morning and then goes quiet for the rest of the day. If I get a rooster who crows too much, I get rid of them no matter what because if someone calls animal control, they will have to get rid of them within a few days or they will euthanize all the birds.

Back
Top Bottom