Chickens in coop at night/work?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gottadance, Mar 23, 2011.

1. gottadance

gottadance Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Wheaton, IL
    I have two questions - do chickens always get locked in the coop at night? Do they go in there themselves at dusk or do you have to encourage them to go in there or round them up?

What do you do during the day if you are at work - do you just let them roam in a covered pen and in/out of the coop?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  2. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    They go in and out of the chicken door (between the fenced yard and the coop) ALL DAY to eat, drink, lay eggs, and do whatever it is that chickens do best. [​IMG]

Make sure to leave the door open during the day--they will naturally go in to roost when it starts to get dark.

Then you lock them up EVERY NIGHT to keep them safe from predators (learned this one the hard way when something scaled the chicken fence and dragged off a hen).

The only fowl that I had that were too stupid to do this on their own were the guineas. SHEESH I hated those birds!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  3. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    I live in NECT, we have ALOT of foxes and racoons and cyotes in the area so for us it was crucial to put the birds in the coop at night and mostly they go in on their own, sometimes roosters have to be incouraged. Durring the day I'd say you are fine to leave them in a run especially if it is covered.

4. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    they go in by themselves, You want them to go in during the day to lay, or you will have and egg hunt every day. always lock them in at night for safety. mine free range all day, hubby is home but not to watchful, we have had no problems, dogs seem to keep predators away.

5. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    my girls put themselves to sleep at night, I let them free range while I am at work, I just close them up when I get home- they are always already inside- smart girls!

6. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

At my last house I could let the chickens out during the day and in the evening after work I would feed them scratch so they easily trained to go to the coop when I got home. Do lock your chickens up during the night to protect them.

At my current house I have open sky with hawks and cannot free range. I built a covered run and chose breeds that accept confinement. They are very happy hens.

7. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:Exactly what I do

8. gottadance

gottadance Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Wheaton, IL
    Thanks - OK - that's what I was wondering - there are regularly hawks here during the day, so I'll definitely have to cover the pen. I just don't want them to be confined all day while I'm at work. That's great that they generally go back to the coop at night. Yay smart chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by