Chickens in extreme heat

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jaybanana, Dec 27, 2012.

1. jaybanana

jaybanana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2012
    Down Under
    How do you keep them cool? I realise this will seem like an odd question for this time of year for Northern Hemisphere-ers, but it is hot here! We are due for a week of over 40 celcius (umm, 104f?). It was over 32c by 9am! (89/90f). I rigged up some extra shade, and hosed the chickens and under the shady section at 10am and again just now (midday).
    I've got two water sources under the shade.

Is there anything else I can do?
    Personally, we've retreated to my parents, to sit in the airconditioning!!

2. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    I set a box fan out and put it on low setting to create a breeze. Other than that there is nothing you can really do. You have the necessities with the shade and water.

3. jaybanana

Dec 20, 2012
    Down Under
    Not sure I could run an extension cord out that far! They seemed to be fine yesterday, and that was without the extra shade, I was just worried about the accumulative effect of the heat!

4. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    What kid of chickens do you have? There are certain breeds like the phoenix and the modern game that have a high heat tolerance.

5. jaybanana

Dec 20, 2012
    Down Under

Not sure, mixed breeds mostly! Red sex links I think someone said they looked like, and maybe production reds? They would have to be somewhat used to the heat, but the place they were living before they came to me, they free ranged so would have been able to find cooler spots in the yard. And although we get hot at this time of year, a week of over 40c is not unheard of, but usually we only have 3-4 days at that heat before it cools down for a few days

6. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Fans don't do a thing, chickens don't have sweat glands like people do, you need to lower the temperature. I run a swamp cooler, I generally only lower the coop temp 10 degrees F from the outside temp. They are still hot, but won't die from heat stroke and they won't get sick from running in and out of an "ice cold" coop to the hot outside.

Since you don't have electricity. If your humidity is low, you can wet the area down and this will be a short term swamp cooler effect. Personally, I would get electricity out there and run a swamp cooler. You can make a swamp cooler for under $100.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by