1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens in FL

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pawsfoot, Aug 5, 2014.

1. pawsfoot

pawsfoot Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    So we are very new to chickens, like only 1 week. We have 2 RIR's and 2 Ameracaunas. They are almost a week old. My husband is trying to plan out the coop, but we are having a disagreement about whether there should be heat or insulation or some form of a fan to keep them cool. We live in Florida and our days can be very hot in the summer, but the coop will be placed in a shady spot. I know it does not snow or get super cold here but we have seen nights in the 30's in the winter. What does everyone suggest? We have about 4-5 weeks to figure it out and build it and I want to start on it as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Start it as early as you can. It’s amazing how fast they grow. You’ll need it before you know it.

30 degrees Fahrenheit is just getting comfortable to a fully feathered chicken. They were a down coat year around. In Florida heat is your enemy, not cold. They need shade and a lot of ventilation. The only reason I’d even consider insulation would be to keep the roof cooler if it is in the sun. You sure don’t need it for the cold. I’ve seen chickens sleep in trees in below zero Fahrenheit weather.

You could build a three sided coop where the fourth wall is wire for extra ventilation and do well where you are. You can do a search in the coop section on warm weather or open air coops and get some ideas.

3. pawsfoot

pawsfoot Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Thank you. I figured they would be ok in the winter, but I didn't want fried chickens when the summer came around again. So I think we have decided to make this chicken coop that I hope attached. Instead of having a solid wall where the chickens would enter I think we are going to put in galvanized mesh so that there is a nice flow of ventilation from one side to the other above the nesting boxes. Everywhere there are windows we are going to install mesh underneath as well so we can leave the windows open during the summer. We have to use some type of concrete of solid blocks for the base because we have a ton of predators where I live. [​IMG]
    Thanks for your advice. We are going to start working on it this weekend. I am so excited. On another note I noticed that my little babies have already started to grow some tail feathers and it happened overnight it seems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by