Chickens in Heat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Joe Gonzalez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Joe Gonzalez

Joe Gonzalez Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    I have a flock of 4 BR's and 4 Buff Orps, I'm in Massachusetts and today we got to 82 it's pretty cloudy, but the girls are laying with their wings open and panting. Since they are only 4 months old this is obviously their first time in these temps...

I'm wondering if they will just acclimate to the temps or is their something I should do in addition to keeping their water changed, and their coop is in the shade???

2. Lovechickens202

Lovechickens202 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2015
    Give them plenty of water. Make sure they have access to shade and dirt. ( They can take dust baths to cool down.) They will be fine. But if they get overly hot I would dump water on them and place them in the shade. Only dump water on them as a last resort. It could scare them. So actually don't DUMP just drizzle it over them. My babies (actually 5-6 years old) LOVE it when I do it to them.

3. Joe Gonzalez

Joe Gonzalez Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    Thanks
    Give them plenty of water. Make sure they have access to shade and dirt. ( They can take dust baths to cool down.) They will be fine. But if they get overly hot I would dump water on them and place them in the shade. Only dump water on them as a last resort. It could scare them. So actually don't DUMP just drizzle it over them. My babies (actually 5-6 years old) LOVE it when I do it to them.
    [/quot

Thanks for the advice I gave them a nice piece of cold melon and they are going to town on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by