1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens in humane shelters on pet finder

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by buckeye lady, Nov 14, 2008.

1. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    There are over 200 chickens that are in need of homes all over the US on www.petfinder.com. In the pet search put bird and for breed put chicken and voila new friend to go pick up.
    Check it out.

NO MORE HOMELESS CHICKENS

2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Wow, your right! They look good too! None in my state though.

3. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    Poor chickens [​IMG] I wish I ould adopt some

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    There have been several cases of people adopting "homeless" chickens
    who were carriers of disease. If anyone takes any of these without
    knowing their histories quarantine for at least a month.

Personally, unless I know the owner and flock I won't accept any chickens
    into my flock.

5. ChooksinIowa

ChooksinIowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Van Meter, Iowa
    My best hen came from our local shelter. Her name is Rosie and she follows me around like a puppy. I think she's a red sex link of some sort. She had been brutally debeaked (right back to the nostrils) and was found wandering around in a bad part of town. I adopted her, quarantined for 2 weeks (although she had been well checked by the shelter vet) and then integrated her. She was terribly skinny at first. After about 3 or 4 weeks, she began to grow back feathers and really put on some proper weight, and then the eggs started. Holy moly! They are the biggest eggs I get, and she lays one every day. She's the best hen I have and I love her so much. I know it's anthropomorphizing, but I really do think she is appreciative of where she is now, and she always loves to be around me when I am outside. She's a special girl.

I also have 9 thai birds that were adopted from Chicken Run Rescue in Minneapolis. They were young birds seized in a cockfighting bust. None have been actual fighters, and none are aggressive or unpleasant with my other birds. They were all too young when seized. They integrated very well, but they still tend to stick with each other as a group.

I whole-heartedly agree with adopting rescue chickens. They are a joy to own and always make me feel good when I see them, knowing I gave them a good home.

6. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    everytime i try and look on petfinder it always says they dont have any chickens for sale.!.! [​IMG]

7. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    If you go to Petfinder where it says animal put in bird and where it says breed put in chicken. Maybe try again.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  8. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    There have been several cases of people adopting "homeless" chickens
    who were carriers of disease. If anyone takes any of these without
    knowing their histories quarantine for at least a month.

Personally, unless I know the owner and flock I won't accept any chickens
    into my flock.

ANy animal, ESPECIALLY birds, should be quarantined for at least 30 days. It doesn't matter where you got them, they still should be quarantined.​

9. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Most of the Chickens on PetFinder are roosters, although they do have some hens and some younger chicks. Remember that these are animals that have been confiscated by local authorities for various reasons, including inhumane treatment/living conditions, cock fighting raids, or kept illegally by their previous owners.

While most agencies will do their best to make sure that any animal up for adoption is in good health, there are no guarantees. It is best to quarantine any animal in an area away from the rest of your birds for at least 30 days. Also take precautions to prevent any posssible transmission of diseases between the two groups. Make sure that sanitary procedures are followed religiously.

Try to make their quarantine environment as stress free as possible which includes limiting any unnecessary visitors until the quarantine period is over.

Good luck!

10. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    113 Chickens still on Petfinder.com. Check it out. Maybe you'll find a new friend.

NO MORE HOMELESS CHICKENS:yiipchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by