Chickens in Humpty Doo, NT, Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gwydion13, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Gwydion13

Gwydion13 New Egg

Nov 1, 2013
    Hello guys and gals

We got some chickens a while ago, the first sales person called them ISA browns, the next highland browns, so i am not sure what type they are and one which was meant to be a silky.

the silky turned out to be something more looking like a bantam brahma, got the additional toe and feathery legs but is not at all fluffy like a silky. Maybe its some cross, but he looks very nice and can stay as long as he doesn't annoy everyone early in the morning... :-D The good thing is our bedroom is 30 to 35m away from the chicken coop, the windows into the opposite direction and it is wet season which means the aircon is running in the night and the closed windows cancel all the noise he makes.

I just finished building a run for the chicken and the only thing tomorrow is to add a guillotine style door to the coop, so they can go in and out as they wish and can be secured in the night. I hope the run is safe enough to keep the snakes and my dogs out and the chicken in... ;-) We tried some raw chicken necks on the dogs and they looked at us like... are you mad? throw it on the barbie mate, i am not eating that stuff unflavored. But i don't know how it works out when the chicken neck is still moving around... :-D

What else... i am electrician by trade and we live on a 5 acre (2 hectare) near Darwin in a tropical climate. I am trying an aquaponics setup with barramundi since a couple of months and some of the vegetable produce goes straight to the chickens, rabbits and crayfish. there is always something which is not grown good or lettuce leafs which turned bitter.

I hope i get some of my questions answered here and some ideas in the different section on how to make the life of my chickens better.

Cheers

Gwydion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]oh my your birds are adorable. Don't even like to see the word "snake" in print [​IMG] Your coop and run are beautiful, I especially like the concrete pad the coop sits on.Very good protection from diggers.

We have loads of Aussies on BYC and room for many, many more. There are two Aussie threads on here that I am aware of: "Australia, six states and one funny little island." and "Australians, where are you." Also you can always find Aussies on the Emu threads.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    since you are an electrician, could you run a couple strings of electric fencing around run to prevent snakes from slithering inside? I also remember, here in the states(USA) some people use chicken wire stretched out in spirals on the ground. They claim when snakes try to crawl through it, they get caught up and can't escape.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Your run set up is really looking nice, the concrete will hopefully stop most predators. Hopefully other people on the Aussie threads drumstick diva mentioned can help you with the snake proofing. The roosters do like to crow don't they, he is a cute little guy. ISA Browns and Highland Browns are both red sex links, hybrid crosses bred for laying eggs, but the ISA Brown is a brand name of the Hendrix Genetics Company, so other companies have to give their similar crosses different names. Are those milk crates going to be the nesting boxes for when the girls start to lay eggs?

6. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Those look like ISA Browns! Accept the one with fluffy legs and [​IMG] again.

7. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

BYC. Fair dinkum!
    Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve. :frow

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Gwydion, welcome to BYC.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Happy you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by