1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens in Japan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TsukaharaNohen, Jan 21, 2017.

1. TsukaharaNohen

TsukaharaNohen New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    I am a new member. I live in Kyushu, Japan, and have had chickens now for two or three years. Currently I have about 60 birds (far too many, I know). I have 14 Barred Plymouth Rocks (the Japanese have tinkered with this breed, so perhaps I should use quotation marks); 13 Boris Browns (the Japanese name for the red sex-link ISA Brown), half a dozen Araucanas, lots of Silkies, and some odds and ends (two Nagoya Kochin, for instance).

I am currently searching for some Rhode Island Red (probably found some) and Sussex chickens (probably found some again), as well as Barnevelder, Buff Orpington, Marans, Penedesenca, Welsummer, and Wyandotte chickens. Not sure how much luck I am going to have with any of those - anyone in Japan with access to any of these?

We live on a farm high up in the mountains. It is a lovely part of the world.

I have used this site for quite some time now, and would like to use this opportunity to thank everyone for their contributions.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. Nobody here on BYC is going to think you have too many chickens - its not in our vocabulary [​IMG] Maybe type "Japan" in the search box and see what pops up - I think there are a few members from Japan here.

Good luck with your breed hunt
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Now that you are an official member, you can enter many of the contests BYC runs.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! I hope you find the chickens you seek and have a successful flock! Good luck to you!! [​IMG]

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under TsukaharaNohen [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. TsukaharaNohen

TsukaharaNohen New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    G'day! Born in Melbourne, raised briefly in Perth and Adelaide, worked for a decade in Melbourne in my thirties. Will enjoy BYC, I am sure. Thankyou!

1 person likes this.
  7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you join us! Sounds like you have a lovely flock...best wishes finding the other breeds you want!

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

9. poodlechicks

poodlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    NY
    @TsukaharaNohen
    Welcome! I am curious as how japanese Plymouth rocks look like. Could you send us a picture? Thank you

10. TsukaharaNohen

TsukaharaNohen New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    Will do! We have had heavy snowfall today, but in a day or two I'll get the camera out and try to get some nice pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by