1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens In Kimonos

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kaki, Jul 24, 2011.

1. kaki

kaki Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Greetings to all,
    I am an Australian living in Japan (right down the bottom end in Kagoshima, so nowhere near the recent trouble...).
    I run a small English school in my house and have just started keeping chickens at home/the school. I have 4 at home/school, hopefully 1 rooster and 3 hens.
    My father in law is retired and grows rice, vegetables and keeps about 60 chickens in a remote location about 90 minutes from my home.
    We also had chickens and ducks at my home in Western Australia, but they got old and dropped off the perch one by one. The ducks are still going strong though, they might be immortal...

I'm curious as to what breed these are, and also would like confirmation that i have chosen 1 rooster and 3 hens. Due to the no-new-member-picture thing, I will have to wait a while before I can post pictures of them.
    Alternatively, I may post a link to my homepage where I will have photos of the birds and the coop i made.

I hope to learn a lot on the forum, and maybe one day be able to help someone out too...

Kaki.

2. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

3. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Hi from NC [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    So glad you joined the forum. Have fun with your chickens! [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Hi Kaki ( isn't that persimmon in Japanese?)
    How interesting to be an Australian in Japan. Glad to hear you are far from the Tsunami effects. Are you anywhere near Kumomoto Castle?

Interesting about the immortal ducks.

Is the picture on your homepage in BYC the chickens that you have questions about? Is the one standing solo your cockerel? There is a picture of 4 and the one in the very back is 'red' with a white wing feather showing. I looks faintly like my golden comet, but I doubt that the breeds of chickens are identical in the Southern Hemisphere as they are in the states. If the three in front are then hens, and the one in back with head down is the roo.... I don't know.

Let us know when you find out....and of course, welcome!!!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. broodytood

broodytood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Swampville, Wa!
    [​IMG]

9. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I don't know what breed your chickens are....but they are pretty.

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by