Chickens in Massachusetts!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by joy_disaster, Apr 27, 2009.

1. joy_disaster

joy_disaster New Egg

Apr 20, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Hello, I am a new member, new to chickens as an adult but I kept them as a 4H kid. We bought our first house in October and I couldn't wait for spring so I could get some chicks! I picked up 6 Ameraucana girls at the feed store last Tuesday. I think they were about 3 days old - so they are 8 or 9 days old now. I am keeping them in a large aquarium with a mesh lid in my downstairs bathroom, under a heat lamp. I mentioned to my husband that soon they might want to perch so he went into the yard, cut a piece of a fallen branch and made a perch - for the rest of the night the chicks huddled on the other end of their cage, seemingly scared of the intruder! [​IMG]

I just went in now to check on them and I see that one was sleeping on the perch! I had my cell with me so I quickly took this lousy cell phone picture:

[​IMG]

I haven't given them proper names yet, they have descriptive names right now since they are all for the most part different colors (I picked two yellow, two stripey/leopardy and two that were the closest to solid brown). Some have gotten cheefk tufts, some haven't so this girl is known as "tuftless brown" for now. They are all sweeties!

I answered the first three "template" questions in my narrative but here's the rest:
    (4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

almost certainly google, looking for chicken coop ideas!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

knitting and crocheting, collecting dolls, sewing, and I am new to gardening but very enthusiastic about it

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have two daughters; ages 7 and 21 months who I am homeschooling full time, 3 cats, 2 guinea pigs and a budgie. Next month we will have 4 guinea hens as well! Actually, probably not all hens since they are straight run.

2. MRW

MRW Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Gales Ferry, CT
    Welcome! and "Hi" from CT [​IMG] Nice photo, I'm sure the other chicks will be up on the roost soon too!

3. nwgirl

nwgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Everett, Washington
    Hello and a Big BYC Welcome! [​IMG]

Congrats on the new additions to your family. I like the way you gave descriptive names to your chicks. I've only named one of mine so far, Baby because she is the youngest, and the rest I refer to as 1, 2, 3 or 4 in the order they were purchased. Creative, uh. [​IMG]

My chickies are between 10 and 13 days old and only the oldest are perching. I'm sure the others will catch on soon.

Your chick is adorable!

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Welcome from Cape Cod. What a cutie chick!

6. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    [​IMG]
    Hi from california

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]