Chickens in MN

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gonzo_MN, May 5, 2009.

1. Gonzo_MN

Gonzo_MN Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Plymouth, MN USA
    Hello all - long time lurker, first time poster.
    I've lived in my current home for ten years. I have 2 1/2 acres, and I'm the small lot in my area. I live in an undeveloped part of one of the biggest suburbs in the Twin City area. For several years my Mom, a farm girl, insisted I should raise a few laying hens since I had the space. I never took it seriously until last fal, when my wife and I became an empty nester, and Mom passed away. I've recently built a 8'x8' insulated coop and am currently constructing an 8'x24' enclosed run. I have pretty much every predator in my area you can have in MN, except bears and bobcats. Although new to chickens of my own, all Mom's sisters (four) married farmers and I spent a lot of my early years tending to poultry and cattle during the summer as free help [​IMG]
    Looking forward to exchanging thoughts and ideas with this community! This is a great message board!

GonzoGlenn

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

3. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Welcome! I am a long time lurker too. This site has been a great learning resource. Just started slowly posting. Sounds like you are off to a good start.
    Funny how our mothers' suggestions carry more weight after they are gone. Chickens are the perfect thing to fill an empty nest with, IMHO.
    My chickens are "home alone" today for the first significant time period. The run is bomber and predator-proof, but I'm feeling like I've left my children unsupervised. Goofy!

Welcome to you and your wife. The chickens will bring a lot of joy into your lives.
    Paula

4. Gonzo_MN

Gonzo_MN Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Plymouth, MN USA
    Oops! I forgot to mention that my chicks come in on Monday the 11th. I'm getting 24 - 12 White Rock and 12 Production Red's. I have tons of wild pheasants that call my back yard home, and I feed all winter. I can hardly wait to see how they react to the spoiled newcomers [​IMG]
    And thanks for the welcomes!

5. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Oooooh good luck! We are getting some tomorrow and some in June [​IMG] Hooray for MN chicks

6. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    [​IMG]

7. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG]

8. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher