Chickens in Portland Maine area

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eggfooyung, Mar 2, 2009.

1. eggfooyung

eggfooyung Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Hi, i'm finally getting chickens this spring after dreaming of them for years. I only want 4-5, probably aracaunas/buff orpington/barred plymouth rock.
    can i have one or two or each, will they get along?
    how do i get chickens that are older (pullets?), i don't have brooding set-up -- am looking for sources in portland maine area
    thanks!

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    if you want true aruacana(rumpless/tufted) you need to get them from a breeder. If you are looking for the chicks that the hatcheries call araucana/americana/ameracana, then those are easter eggers and you should be able to call a feed store(there is a blue seal in windham, also a feed store in portland but can't remember the name) and see if they will order you specific chicks when they place their order. You can also check uncle henry's

4. dndmacomber

dndmacomber New Egg

Mar 2, 2009
    I have three Barred Rock hens in Derry and they are doing great! I was afraid to get them in September over the winter we had. Our scare was the icestorm where we lost power for 9 days. We brought them into the house, then found a generator and put heat with a generator in the coop. They have stated laying! I think a small number is perfect for our family. Clean up is a breeze and egg production is just right for us three humans!We had them shipped in the mail!

5. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    From Old Town, Maine

6. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Welcome!

7. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hello & [​IMG] from NC

8. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and welcome from a maine girl (who is slightly misplaced, yet working to get back home!!)

I have four laying hens in one coop right now, three different breeds and one is a bantam. They all get along very well, and none of them look like the others do.

As for finding pullets, post an ad in the Buy Sell Trade section. Make sure your location is in the title, and other Mainers can maybe sell you some of their pullets. Or keep an eye on Craigslist. (But for what it's worth, I'd rather buy from another BYC'er any day)

9. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    Longhorn in Buxton does chick orders. They often have older chicks available during the summer that are old enough to not need a brooder. At least they did last summer. Or there might be a Chickenstock at some point this year where you could get some pullets. Best bet would be to just post in the Chickens-Buy Sell and Trade section here. That's where most of my girls, and boys, came from. Great birds (and people).

10. BoJo

BoJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Dawsonville, Ga
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] BoJo [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by