1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens in Space?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kelsakat, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Kelsakat

Kelsakat Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    Let us believe that homesteading on colonies or mars is soon coming. Which breed of chicken would you pick for your new homestead and why?
    Please don't get annoyed. It's just a line of thought that could just as easily be applied to homesteading is different parts of earth.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I lol'd. And who would get annoyed? ;)

Personally, mongrels. Not crossbreds or quarterbreds or anything with anything pure within the last 20 generations, but the absolutely most mixed up mongrels/mutts I could get my hands on. :D

3. Kelsakat

Kelsakat Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    I have to agree that mutts would be best. Funny thing is I figured there would have been more people commenting on this. After all, homesteading should not just limited to this planet.

4. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    You'll be interested in this thread from several years ago.

I would want as many breeds represented as possible for maximum genetic diversity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by