Chickens in the City!! UPDATE - Found one!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Frisco Farmer, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Frisco Farmer

Frisco Farmer New Egg

Aug 5, 2010
    San Francisco
    I am crazy about chickens. I live in the heart of San Francisco, and I have a 12 year old Buff Brahma bantam and 3 pullets (one each Easter Egger, Buff Orpington, and Black Australorp), all raised from day-old chicks. I also had a beautiful, gentle, lap-sitting Cuckoo Maran in the recent batch--so sad the day when "she" turned out to be a "he." I joined BYC to find a chocolate egger in the Bay Area to complete my egg basket.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  2. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    A very warm welcome! I hope you enjoy it here! I sure am!! Oh, and Australorps and EE's are some of my favorites too! Especially EE's! But then, you can see my avatar.. [​IMG]

3. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

[​IMG]

Hi! You are most definitely in the right spot. I'm not too far from you myself over here in Sacramento, though there are a lot of people here on BYC who live closer to the City.

There's going to be a bay area meetup/chicken swap coming up in a couple of months. Look for it on the meetup/chickenstocks forum.

Again, welcome to BYC! The most addictive forum online.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG] from NH. Glad you could join us. You have a 12 y.o. chicken? Lots of people are going to be curious about her (him?). A frequent question around here is how long a chicken will live. Not too many folks have such an elderly bird. You must have taken good care of it for such longevity.

5. The French Hen

The French Hen Tres Chic

Jul 31, 2010
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    [​IMG] From Tarpon Springs, Florida...

A 12 year old chicken sounds to me like you know exactly what to do and how to raise chickens.
    One day I may know that stuff too....

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Hi! I'm new, too, and into ducks. I wish we could keep chickens (and ducks) in our yards in San Diego, but I think they have an ordinance against that now. When I first moved to California almost 30 years ago, I used to see them in people's yards all the time, but I don't anymore.

7. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    [​IMG] from Alaska

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Tucson, AZ!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by