Chickens in the City

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HereChikyChiky, Mar 12, 2013.

1. HereChikyChiky

HereChikyChiky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    Hello All,

I grew up in the 50's with neighbors who had lots of chickens and grew mini farms of veggies and flowers in their backyards. Lots of years gone since then. I just moved into a house in city limits of Tacoma, WA and have a nice 10 x10 graden area fenced off in my back yard. I think I can support 2 maybe 3 egg layers. I'd like to build a small coop with nesting boxes in one corner and plant veggies in the rest of the space. Any suggestions for cheap building materials, breeds that thrive in my area of Washington state, and any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I kept a few bantam egg layers about 15 years ago and they did well until Mama Fox and her kits moved in :)

Rena

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from New Mexico!

Check out the breeds section here to get an idea on what breed will do best in your area. Most breeds do well in all areas, but you can narrow it down to what type of bird you are looking for here...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

As far as building materials, many folks have luck with broken down pallets and have done wonders with this cheap source of wood. Check out the Coop section of the forums...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

1 person likes this.
  3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Hi

I live in Bellevue. You can have pretty much any breed in Washington since we do not have extreme cold or heat conditions. I like large egg layers but have a variety of breeds for a mixed color flock and different color eggs. I would recommend using watering and feeding that is low maintenance and takes up little space since you are limited on area for the chickens. If you put the waterer and feeder against the wall, there will be more room for the chickens to roam. Good luck and have fun!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

General rule of thumb for standard size chickens is 10 square feet of run and 4 square feet floor space of coop per bird - so you could have 10 birds if you built a big enough coop!

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome bacck to poultry raising and to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by