chickens in the coop health risk? not out in sun is it a risk

kelliepulido

Songster
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
st.john's mi
I have lots of chicks pullets cockrels and bantam breeds.Right now I have a large pen securely made in the barn for my at risk chickens the younger ones and those that can't fly up like the frizzles.They are secure well taken care of and a light running at least 12hrs.per day.But I can not let them out safely at this time.Maybe next season or for a couple hours if not too cold for them.Is this ok for them?I read on the serama site about somebody saying their hen vitamin deficiency r/t lack of sunlight is this a problem?I have lost soo many birds this year and can not risk it now.

Last edited:
what about during the winter months,had to lock up the coop for at least 2m at a time before what can you do to avoid this if they can't get out

I live in a very snowy and cold area, regularly -17 at night in the winter, sometimes colder. I throw the coop door open, and if I'm feeling nice, I shovel them a few paths and scatter some BOSS around in the snow.. what doesn't get dug out grows in the spring... why can't you let yours out?

they seem to end up missing in action,take a head count after work which is after dark when I get home and there are ones missing,they are also young ones couple months old maybe when they a wee bit bigger the silkies and chicks sleep on the floor and then are missing lots of predators or other chickens

how about a secure run, even something small, like 6x6, covered with chicken wire all sides, top and bottom and hardware cloth around the sides. that way you could put 6 out each day in it, and just rotate who got to be outside... how many do you have?

I always stock up on chickens in the spring, so I've got surplus in the fall, because I too lose some in the winter, hungry foxes, weasels, large birds all take their toll.

Build yourself a run that is totally enclosed. Here is a pic of my pvc run.
56972_20100820_12.jpg

56972_20100520_56.jpg

It was initially free standing before I built the coop. I just laid the wire (1"x2" welded wire) over the top and extended it out on the ground about 18" and used tent stakes from Walmart to hold it down. I fastened the wire edges together with short pieces of wire that I already had and nailed it down with fence staples to the 2x4 frame at the bottom. Covered the top with a tarp for rain and sun protection. Haven't lost a bird yet. When I built the coop, I just got my 2 teenage sons, hubby, and one other teenager to pick it up and move it to the coop. Cut a pop door, attached run to the coop and I was in business! You wouldn't be covering yours since you want the sun. Not terribly expensive, moveable, and nothing can get in. You could put hardware cloth around the bottom 2 feet or so to prevent anything from reaching in through the wire.

Last edited:
well I opened the door to connect the 2 coops and everybody had a good day with some sun light the set of pullets and cockrels are big enough now that they can get away from the big older girls that try to bother them and Frank and Lucas didn't try to kill one another.The 1wk of them being next to one another with the hard wire in between I Think helped the intergration process

Back
Top Bottom