chickens in the coop

vtgirls

Songster
9 Years
May 20, 2010
Vermont
i have eight new chicks - one appears to be a roo but time will tell. all the breeds claim to bear confinement well - 2 wyandottes, 1 barred rock, 2 rhode reds and 3 cochins.
heres the thing:
the girls will have a nice run area - 10x10
however, our coop is on the small side - just 18 sq feet on the floor with another 4 feet in a loft up top.
there are two nesting boxes and plenty of roost space - at least 12 linear feet.
the hens will have about 3/4 of an acre to free range during the day, being confined to the run only when we are away (at market or such)
in the winter there is a cover over the run so they will have an outdoor space free of deep snow.
is my coop way too small???
reading here 4 feet each bird has made me concerned since mine are getting just over 2 each - any thoughts?

I think the 4 sf per bird is for confined birds--never going outside. I think 2 sf per bird is enough is the chickens have a run and/or can free range.

my coop is 16 sq ft and i have 5 chickens in it they also have an 12x10 run attached everyone gets along fine even on the days when they are inside the coop most of the time. i open the coop everyday even if its not very nice out so they have the option to go out. most days they are out all day in the run and go in and out of the coop to eat and lay, but some days they stay inside and very rarely come out (usually during a bad rain storm lately ). they have plenty of roost room too but they all seem to clump together on one roost. hope this helps some. i have ee's, sussex and cochin.

Back
Top Bottom