Chickens in the rafters... Deer netting or poultry netting?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Fenderville, May 20, 2010.

1. Fenderville

Fenderville Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Chickens in the rafters... Deer netting or plastic poultry netting?

The hens are about 8 weeks old now and I went out lastnight to lock them up... LOL and i didn't see any hens around.. OMG!

They were all up in the rafters.. They didn't make a sound so it took a while to find them...

Anyway, I knew they would get up there just not this soon... [​IMG]

If I staple Deer Netting up there will that keep them out or do I need something stronger like Poultry Netting or the Plastic Poultry Netting?

Thanks all! [​IMG]

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Why do you not want them up there?

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'd try deer netting first simply because it's cheaper and much easier to work with

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Why do you not want them up there?

Would you want to be walking around UNDER a bunch of chickens? [​IMG]

5. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Sounds like the perfect place for roosting to me?? I am afraid my chickens would get tangled up in that deer netting- I mean I get tangled up in it!!!

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd suggest something fairly flimsy (plastic netting) and small-mesh, so chickens are more apt to just bounce off rather than get entangled.

That said, people use all sorts of things and I'm not sure I've heard of a chicken getting stuck in it, so I don't think it's a BIG risk.

(Although I did just this morning have my good Sussex roo get stuck by both feet in the newly-reinstalled chickenwire pen divider, he flew into it without rememebering/seeing it was there [​IMG])

Pat

7. Fenderville

Fenderville Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Quote:The big problem is the poop gets EVERYWHERE.. I need them to use their roosts and the poo board..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by