Chickens in the rain?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by michelle89, Sep 26, 2011.

1. michelle89

michelle89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Today we had our first no joking around hard rain, I didn't let the girls out because I'm not sure if they're smart enough to take cover! Silly question I know but I'm a new chicken owner and I'll be the first to admit I don't know it all when it comes to chickens!! I know my duck would enjoy the rain but I didn't let her out either, the chickens have become her buds since her friend passed away last weekend.[​IMG]
    Will the chickens do okay in the rain?

2. jelly_biscuit

jelly_biscuit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Unless it's raining really hard, my chickens stay out in the rain, but they usually stay under semi-covered areas like beneath a tree. I don't know if I should be keeping them out of the rain, but I figure they should know if it's bad for them.

3. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    We got probably four inches of rain over the weekend and my chickens did whatever they wanted to. Their runs are 3/4 covered with weather-proof tarps and they stay mostly dry under those. Sometimes they will go inside, especially if the wind is blowing -they hate the wind - and then pop back out again when things let up. They are pretty smart.

I, however, stayed inside all day, other than a few mad dashes out to the coops and to let dogs out and back in.

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    yep they will take a bit of rain and then look for cover [​IMG]

5. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    yes my girls will take cover also on the front poarch. i think they are pretty smart.

6. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    I have a raised coop and my girls will hang out under it until it stops or till they get tired of waiting and go inside lol. The only exception are my silkies. They will stand in the rain all day if you let them. I usually let them figure it out on their own unless its a major storm with heavy winds. Then they get locked in. I have a low to the ground bantam coop also. My flock is spoiled rotten.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They'll get used to it.

It rains over 120 inches per year here [​IMG] And all my chickens have to get used to it at some point or another. They have coops to hide in, but, life is honestly kinda depressing in the winter when storms hammer us one after another after another. And after some more. . .

8. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I think silkies don't realize their feathers aren't water repellent! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I have had alot of birds that past several years.

Each has their own personality and is different in how they react to rain. Some didn't notice the rain unless hard. They just walked around searching for any bugs/worms that came up out of the ground or got knocked out of the trees. Some stay under shelter from the tiniest drop till the sun comes out. Others fall all over the range from carefree to Aquaphobic.

Matt

10. michelle89

michelle89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Quote:You're practically my neighbor Illa! I've lived here all my life and I'm still not used to it!!
    What did you think of todays weather? Is this how its going to be this winter? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by