1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens in the rain

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maymay8, Jul 14, 2008.

1. maymay8

maymay8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I figured when it starts raining our flock, out free ranging in the yard, would head to the coop. But they just stand out in the rain. Is this normal? Do I need to round them up into the coop when it rains? I live in New Mexico where the rain storms are short, but they can be heavy. I don't want the chickens to get sick from being wet and cold.
    Thanks,
    Maggie

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My chickens FLIP OUT when I turn on the sprinkler!

They're going to hate winters in the Pacific Northwest.

3. beckyloveschicks

beckyloveschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    NC
    My chickens stand out in the rain, too. Unless it's a heavy heavy downpour, then they head for shelter.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I've heard that on the contrary chickens enjoy the rain someone. I've been told that if its a short shower to let them stay out if they want to. For thunderstorms and torrential down pours, I'd round them up if I were you.

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Ours go in by themselves. We also have a hemlock and a cedar on the north oart of the run that form a canopy. When my fiance and I put up the coop, it was raining and we were under those trees and it kept us relatively dry. The coop is under there now and even though we've had a wet, cool summer the chickens are fine.

Maymay, if you can maybe plant some trees or shrubs for shelter, it may be adequate for a short rain

6. maymay8

maymay8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by