Chickens in the rain

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happychucks, Aug 18, 2013.

1. happychucks

happychucks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    Isle of wight
    Ae chickens ok in the rain?
    Weve had some big rain latley and the girls dont go in there house to get out of the wet,they just sit there and occasionaly shake off the water.
    Is that mormal?

2. KilnChick

KilnChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    Kiln, Ms
    M
    Ae chickens ok in the rain?
    Weve had some big rain latley and the girls dont go in there house to get out of the wet,they just sit there and occasionaly shake off the water.
    Is that mormal?[/quote Mine love the rain[​IMG]

3. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    While I was at work on a very rainy day yesterday my DH was looking out the window at the chicken run. He reported that they spent most of their time under the coop but, periodically, one of them would make a dash for the feeder at the covered end of the run and the rest would rush after her.

Then, after a bit, they'd repeat the process the other direction.

He says it was absolutely hilarious.

4. milola

milola Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    According to my father (chuckle) if it is going to be an all day rain they go out like it is sun shiny but if it is just a passing shower, they will wait. Mine were out one day when a very heavy rain came up. They all stuck there heads in a bush but their bodies were all getting rained on. That was a comical sight. Wish now I had gotten a picture. Anyway to answer the question they seem to do fine.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by