Chickens in the snow...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AbbieX, Oct 12, 2008.

1. AbbieX

AbbieX New Egg

Aug 23, 2008
    This morning is the first real snow storm of the season. There are 3 inches on the ground. Do I let my chickens out of the henhouse today?? I don't want them to have foot problems, or do I want them to mud up the hen house. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I'd let them out, if they are cold-hardy breeds. The only chickens I've heard who don't like snow and are cold hardy are feather legged breeds like cochins and brahmas, because the snow gets stuck in their feathers on their legs.

3. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    I would let them out if they would come out. first snow, where do you live?

4. AbbieX

AbbieX New Egg

Aug 23, 2008
    Montana!! It's been snowing all day...I did go to the hen house to replenish their water and check their food. One of them started out the door but stopped short of going out. They're kinda like that about new things...although, I'm sure if one of them goes out and the others realize that she isn't any worse for wear, they''ll go out too. Then again...who knows.

5. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    Definately let them go out if you have a breed that is considered cold hearty.

I live in Montana and have cold hardy breeds. The ladies are all outside today in the snow.

The only thing my ladies require is that I brush off the ramp from the door. I don't know if it is visual or what but they were peeking out by 9, and out in the snow by 10.

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
  7. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    It snows this time of year?! It never snows here, but I didn't know it snowed anywhere in October! Silly me...

8. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you folks realize that S N O W is considered a 4 letter word that is just plain old uncalled for.

I don't let my girls out much in the winter. A small amount of snow, yes as long as its wet, melting type. Other then that I allow them out into the clear plastic "porch". So its up to you, where there is snow, there is mud until the ground freezes.

9. geoaware

geoaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Geee...where did you think frozen chickens in the supermarket come from?

10. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

They might appreciate a bale of hay or straw out there, or a little platform. They might get more light and exercise if they can go *up*, as they love to do! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by