Chickens In The White House! How can we make this happen!?!?!

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by Nifty-Chicken, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I'm sure many of us know about the new garden that got put in, but I completely agree with this article:

http://food.theatlantic.com/on-the-farm/but-where-are-chickens.php

So, how do we do this? How can we get the Obama family to get a flock of hens to go with their new garden?!?!

Seriously, this really is something we should put all our 26,000+ member resources together to make happen!!!

-Update: If you have sent a letter to the White House you can say so here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=152206

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I agree! [​IMG] Can you imagine the President wearing a BYC sweatshirt!! [​IMG]

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Wouldn't the chickens be setting off the alarms on the White House lawn?

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Hello, my name is Barak, and I am addicted to chickens . . . . [​IMG]

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    it would have its drawbacks, many people would get chooks just cause it would be the "thing to do" and there would be a lot of abandoned and abused ones in the end. Although the thought and concept is cool. I would love to see a self sufficient Pres. [​IMG]

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I'm in .. Maybe the kids can get a pet silkie... Start the chicken revolution!!!!

7. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I would love the idea but they would have to be kept away from the public. With all the visitors there would be a high chance for them to catch some disease.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ooh good idea Nifty! AND i bet it would help others who are having problems with their town laws allowing chickens... good idea.. [​IMG]

9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:ohhhh I did not think about that though.... that would be very cool.

10. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

The pros would far outweigh any cons! Imagine how much easier it would be to get cities to change ordinances if the pres has chooks!

Here is what my friend (who sent me a link to the article) said:

Get them writing letters, emails, etc. to the white house praising the garden, and offering support and links for a chicken flock. Grassroots it, baby!

At least, that's what I'd do...

And you just might get presidential traffic at your website [​IMG]

Also, maybe reach out to the reporter that originally mentioned it?

I've already posted a comment on the article. Imagine if every BYC member and their family and friends wrote a hand written letter promoting the benefits of a chicken in every yard!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by