Chickens in town, or Urban Farming

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BrynnRDH, Mar 13, 2011.

1. BrynnRDH

BrynnRDH In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    I was just wondering who here has chickens inside city limits? We are starting our flock and have three chicks right now. There is just my fiance and I and we plan on using the eggs just for us. No plans to sell them. The only problem is that I've been bitten by the chicken bug! I would love to get two more: a bantam, a SLW, or a SS. Of course we have enough coop and run space as we have a very big back yard. [​IMG] My question is, how many chickens do you have if you live in town, and how many is too many for just two people?

2. onecent

onecent Songster

Hi, & [​IMG] now alot of people have chickens in the city limits I my self had 20 give or take a few, the only thing is you need to check to see if your city allows chickens and if they do, how many that you are allowed to have, more & more cities are starting to allow a few hens just check with your animal control officer and look up city ordinances also we here at backyard chickens have a link you can check to see if your city is up there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=310268

3. emilysue

emilysue In the Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Oshkosh, WI
    [​IMG]

4. Troyerchicks

Troyerchicks Chirping

Feb 12, 2011
    Bedford County, TN
    We live in the city limits on what's considered a lot and a half. (maybe 1/2 acre?) We have 6 chickens and 6 chicks. We have a pretty big backyard with a coop and a chicken tractor on wheels that gets moved around the backyard. As far as codes go: we cannot have roosters, chickens cannot run free and we have to keep them fed, watered and their coop clean. (pretty much a no-brainer there). There is no limit on chickens but I think we're close to our own limit. But I keep seeing a new breed I want to try!! [​IMG]
    We are a large family though and will go through alot of eggs! My neighbors seem pretty excited about the chickens too!

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Crowing

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I have 12, and we are within city limits. Welcome.

6. Baymule

Baymule Crowing

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I have 2 SLW hens and just got 3 black sex link and 3 red sex link chicks. I live 4 blocks from city hall, NO roosters!

7. hallerlake

hallerlake Songster

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I live in Seattle where we are allowed eight adult chickens. I currently only have four, but I am incubating eggs. In the fall, I will decide which to keep and which to get rid off.

8. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    I live in town, and I'm not telling how many I have! The neighbors are cool with it, that's all that matters to me!

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I live within the city limits, but Animal Services is governed by the county codes per zoning. Where I live, on an acre (shared with my landlady) poultry is considered livestock and is allowed, according to an Animal Density Point system. Because my landlady has three Barbados sheep and they each count as four ADP, I should only have 13 adult chickens. "Immature offspring below sexual maturity do not count against a property's ADP." So, it's a good thing most of my chickens are chicks and youngsters..... Roosters are allowed.

If only she didn't have those sheep.... I would probably still be within legal limits.

10. BrynnRDH

BrynnRDH In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Quote:Heh, well we're only allowed two, but I've seen chickens in my neighborhood and people definitely keep more than two! Apparently the city is reconsidering the limit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: