1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens in Vegtable garden??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kirkster5, Jul 17, 2008.

1. kirkster5

kirkster5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    I am wondering if any of you let your chickens free range in your vegtable garden. I have a 70 by 70 foot fenced in garden and thought the droppings might help fertalize. My concern is that they would eat all the produce(I have 6 chickens 3 RIR's and 3 Ameracauna's). I do have Peas planted and thought I heard somewhere that they are toxic. Any thoughts??

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Um yeah... I thought the same thing until this happened:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=69797

Their run is done, and an impromptu fence around the garden has been erected.

If you want poo in your veggie garden, take my advice: compost their droppings and put the poo there yourself!

When it comes time to clean up the garden for the winter, I'll till the soil and let the girls go to town in there. They're dying to get in there anyway!

3. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I'm wondering this same thing as I'm planning an area for a large garden within the next two years. I want to move the coop and run area near it so the chickens can free range in it at least at the end of the season and over winter.

4. PuffMommy

PuffMommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Fairfield, CT
    i'm no expert but i read somewhere that it is a good idea to let them into the garden at the end of the day so they can fertilize, eat bugs, etc. but not do too much damage...

5. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    Are peas toxic?

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I'd be curious to hear what others have experienced. My own veggie garden suffered from my chickens getting in there.

RIP tomato plants... :|

7. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    DO NOT LET YOUR CHICKENS IN YOUR GARDEN. THEY WILL EAT IT ALL.

and some veggie greens/plants are bad for them, such as rhubarb, potatoes, and tomatoes.

from one gardener and chicken owner to another: DO NOT DO IT.

8. PuffMommy

PuffMommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Fairfield, CT
    good to know. we just moved into a place with an extremely overrun (and huge) vegetable garden. i'm letting it all grow out and planning on having the girls level/fertilize it for next year. they are 6 weeks now and i'm still scared to let them out of the run...i guess this is another topic but when are they old enough to free range? i really want them to start getting to work on that garden.

9. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    maybe slightly off subject but if you really want something for your garden try using guineas. They are good at eating the bugs and leaving the plants alone.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:ouch... I've been feeding my chickies potato peelings and I let them eat tomatoes regularly....(I'd never let them in my garden cause I know they'd destroy it)

My chickens LOVE potato peelings and the really fight over tomatoes.

Am I poisoning them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by