Chickens in winter snow?!?! Helpppp

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mattsiewrt94, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    It's suppose to snow around 12pm and it's in the 50 now but it's suppose to get to low 20s and my rooster already has gotten frost bite on the tip of his comb and the one on the bottom it was pretty bad he had blister that turned to open wounds but people told me that the wounds would just heal back up they weren't oozing blood or nothing like that and it's been a week since all the wounds were there and I don't see no yellow on his flesh it did go dark reddish black but if infection were to go in could I put antibacterial cream on it or put a warm press of soap and water on it ?? But anyway I gave them warm water this morning and fed them good they free range also but I have no heat lamps they go in my barn with hay and roost on the beams at the top but will they be okay?? I'm a little worried this is my first flock and my rooster I love him lol there more pets to me than food. I was worried about the wounds on his comb but I haven't seen no yellow but I been keeping watch for any

2. Mattsiewrt94

Nov 5, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is where they sleep and the rooster if you look at his comb they are the wounds and frostbite that the only pic I have that close I'll take more when I get home

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    This is the worst year for frostbite on my roosters that I've ever had and I do worry about them.

A few days ago I put triple antibiotic ointment on them. If I do it again, and any have any open abscesses I'm going to use betadine first and then the ointment.

We were in the neighborhood of negative 15 F (coldest in at least 25 years). I would dub them but we have more problems with heat in the summer so they need those big combs and wattles.
    We're getting into the single digits the next 3 or 4 nights so they're not out of the woods.
    I think that adding heat will increase humidity, making matters worse. (unless you can get it above 40 degrees which would be very pricey.
    I've never had frostbite on hens, even those with huge combs.

4. Mattsiewrt94

Nov 5, 2013
    Yeah that's what I've heard it's only on my rooster but the wounds will they be fine if any infection were to come up in them wouldn't it be green and yellow they look really minor to me anyway

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They'll be fine. Chickens can easily handle snow and temps in the 20's above zero. Your frostbite problems are more from humidity and cold, rather than just cold. If it's outside humidity, there's not much you can do about it. I would think that if he were going to get an infection he would have by now. I have a Welsummer hen who got nipped on the tips of her combs and the edges of her wattles, but she's not having any problems or showing signs of discomfort. We've had air temps (not windchills) in the -20's several times this winter (and will again, according to the forecast). My chickens live in an unheated, uninsulated coop and other than the one hen with the nipped comb and wattles, have had no problems. Your chickens may not be too thrilled with the snow, but I'm guessing it's not going to last long where you live. Mine don't like it, but DH plows a path past the coop for them so they go out and get some sun, scratch till they find dirt, and enjoy the fresh air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by