chickens in winter springs florida??

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by dawnsglory, Jun 8, 2011.

1. dawnsglory

dawnsglory Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    winter springs florida
    I have searched everywhere for something stating either I can or I cant have them. My next step I guess should be to go to the city hall and see if they have any documentation. Any other thoughts on what I should do.? Thanks, Dawn

2. PeepCrazee

PeepCrazee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    You can go to the Municode website ... municode.com

and type in your city and state then when you get to the codes, type in the word "chickens" in the search field...it should pull up what you are looking for...

3. dawnsglory

Mar 24, 2011
    winter springs florida
    I think I tried that before but I will try it again today. Thank you.

Dawn

4. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Sec. 20-413. Animals.
    No one shall keep the following animals in R-1, R-1A and R-1AA residential zone areas: Horses, cows, pigs, chickens, geese, goats or any other fowl or livestock, other than household pets.
    (Ord. No. 44, § 44.77, 1-8-68)

Sec. 20-414. Exceptions.
    Horses and ponies may be permitted in R-1AA areas provided at least one (1) acre of land is available for each animal.
    (Ord. No. 44, § 44.78, 1-8-68)

http://library4.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=12019&doc_action=whatsnew

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  5. dawnsglory

Mar 24, 2011
    winter springs florida
    Yes thank you. I found that too. Not what I wanted to see. Oh well I'm an outlaw.

6. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Join the Club! [​IMG] Oh and [​IMG] Join the Florida club thread on "Where am I..Where are you"

7. PeepCrazee

PeepCrazee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    We're here in SW Florida (Ft Myers/Lehigh area). We are in the beginning stages of our own battle, but we are encouraging ALL of Florida to take part in our fight. Whatever we can do to help...let us know!

8. Busheybird

Busheybird Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    Oviedo, FL
    In winter springs you can't own chickens. But it depends on what your back yard situation if the police with do anything. If you have a relatively small back yard I would not try it. The houses in my Neighborhood aren't too close but they aren't to far apart, well I don't have more then an acer. I have had chickens for about a year and my neighbor thought that it was causing them to have rats. So the police came out and told me to try to come up with a compromise with them so they would be happy and not complain. So it's up to you but if your neighbors aren't too close I think you will be fine.

9. wdoyle1980

wdoyle1980 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2012
    "OTHER THAN HOUSEHOLD PETS" being the operative phrasing. There are people that PIGS as indoor pets! (they're cute, but man does that poo smell!!) Perhaps you can get a large dog crate from pet store and keep a few chickens indoors? I have 3 chickens in 2 cages and it works out fine. two are in a 'medium' dog crate and one is by herself in a large rabbit/rodent cage. The cages have a 3" raised grated platform to allow waste to drop free and facilitate cleaning. each cage has a perch big enough for the birds contained. 25" perch for the big cage easily acommodates the two hens. 15" perch in the single bird cage. we clean the cage every couple of days and that keeps the smell down. I think that wet feed is the biggest offender for smell. I keep the big cage on a 3' high 2x4 stand. the small cage is on top of the bigger one. I have a tarp covering the wall and underside of the cages to contain any feed/water spills. They get sunlight coming in from nearby window, air conditioning during the day when it's hot. I let them out to run around when I get home. Give them treats. look for any injuries or problems (and address them).

I live in the unincorporated Seminole County (just outside Oviedo city limits), in a neighborhood on a 1/3 acre of land. I'm not familiar with Winter Springs, though. There are no state/county restrictions I could find on me having them where I am. Oviedo has them running all over the downtown/historic area ! However my HOA forbids me from having them (outside). I think the covenant says anywhere on the property, but I personally believe that this type of restriction ends at my house walls.

Don't tell anyone !! Don't tell the neighbor - friends today can be enemies/snitches tomorrow. If someone does end up calling you out , make the proper case that you are raising these birds as PETS. Pets that just happen to lay eggs you eat. Make the case that you are raising them humanely in a clean and safe environment. Name them, use their names. Just like in hostage negotiations, using a name 'humanizes' the hostage. In this case, naming personalizes our chickens. It's not just '3 chickens', its' Gerdie, BigRed, and Camila. They each have their own personality and moods/attitudes/behaviors, just like your precious dog and cat pets ;-)

I keep a good sized victory garden for tobacco + veggies. I appreciate sustainable home gardening. I enjoy having a great reason to get outside and dig in the ground. I encourage anything that gets people outside and breaking a little sweat. I enjoy having the chickens b/c I enjoyed previously having a parrot when I was younger. I enjoy having fresh eggs free from added hormones and antibiotics, from chickens that have not been abused.

Good luck in whatever course of action you choose. Please keep us posted!

10. Shawneegyrl

Shawneegyrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    Winter Springs, FL
    My Coop
    Oh, I live in Winter Springs too!

I expected to be an outlaw but so far my neighbors are in cahoots with me! I have 10 new chicks, but 7 of them are not sexed so I expect that number to go down significantly. I will only have "pet hens"

I would like to add 1 EE, 1 maran and 1 polish as soon as possible. Am calling around today.

Maybe we can get together sometime to talk Chickies.

Becky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by