Chickens injured in dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rinny3912, Jan 14, 2014.

1. rinny3912

rinny3912 New Egg

Aug 2, 2013
    Mansfield
    Good Morning. I have 3 hens that were attacked by a medium sized dog a few days ago. One seems fine. One is walking around, eating, drinking, laying...but she sounds congested...any advice? The third will walk a little bit but with a limp. She prefers to lie down. She is eating and drinking some...I can get near her to check her over for injuries and when I get close I am afraid I am causing additional stress. Help?

2. ProdigyMCluckin

ProdigyMCluckin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2014
    Houston Pasadena Texas
    Try checking her really slow an calming, pet her head calmly to calm her down. Just be real gental.

3. rinny3912

rinny3912 New Egg

Aug 2, 2013
    Mansfield
    Okay. I will try. If I do find a wound, do you recommend rinsing with iodine? Is there anything I can do for it?

4. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    So sorry to hear. I have had that happen too.
    You do want get her checked over for bites. Puncture wounds from dogs teeth can get infected quickly, and will cause a lot of tissue damage. As much as I do not like to use antibiotics that is when I do and have used them.
    Check thouroughly as feathers sometimes hide them and there may or may not be much blood. Talk to them quietly and if you cover their head with a hand towel while you check them helps to calm them.
    There are several threads you can find on BYC about dog attacks. I used several for direction the first time I had a chicken with dog bites as well as some of the online extension offices of several universities. I just did a google search. Hope this helps and Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by