Chickens is WEIRD!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GrammaGryphon, Jul 29, 2013.

1. GrammaGryphon

GrammaGryphon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Wimberley Texas
    In my intro I was having a prob with an egg breaker, she's not only stopped eating/breaking but she just laid egg #3 today. I know it's hers cause she's still in solitary confinement. All are perfect pretty brown eggs. I swear she's trying to make up for the broken eggs. Too FUN! I'm giving her an extra treat tonight. She's earned it!!
    One odd thing about my girls (well... there are quite a few but...) none of them do ANY laying dance/cackle etc. Most don't even really squat to lay. Tiny curtsey type thing ond they're done. Is that "normal"?
    Anne

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  2. Majd

Majd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    What breed are they.... If red sex links I won't be surprised.... pics?? :)

3. GrammaGryphon

Jul 25, 2013
    Wimberley Texas
    3 High Production Reds, 3 HPB and 1 Barred Rock. Our Super Eggie Girl is one of the Reds, she's also the (now ex) egg breaker. I still have no idea how to get the Barred Rock (Greta) in with the others. She is either pecked on or pecks whoever is in there with her so she's on her own and seems VERY happy like that. They can all see each other and that seems okay but I really thought they'd be all together by now. Paprika (hpr) is so sweet for her people but pecks everyone around her. Seems fine on her own. Seems like I have antisocial chooks. I've ended up with 3 blacks and one red in one pen, and 1 red, one red and one barred rock in their own cages.
    I'll post photos of them tomorrow.Have to figure my phone out. :-{
    Anne

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] wow if you successfully broke an egg eater, you should make a HOW To post for BYC. It's a really bad habit to cure. Have your trouble makers ever had a chance to work out the pecking order. Maybe you should let them have a go at it, then peace should reign. Anything short of blood shed and serious damage is okay. If they insist on being battlers - then you could consider rehoming one or both of them.

5. GrammaGryphon

Jul 25, 2013
    Wimberley Texas
    We put Paprika into a bin with chicken wire on top for almost a week with a daily foray onto grass n bugs for a few hours. Not sure that makes sense. Basically she's been in solitary since she almost pecked Saffron to death. She went a little weird after she started laying fine for 3 days then pecked the next few. Up to that point they were all together and fine. It may well have been an aboration. She just can't seem to get along with the others any more but that's okay. She seems like a very chipper Girl otherwise. The Barred Rock was a lat addition, they didn't come into the feed store til a month after the others. She got almost the size of the Reds n Blacks so we started trying to put her in but they all just flew at each other, VERY unhappy run.
    With them in seperate cages they're happy and lay nicely. That's a-okay with us. It's a bit more work but I really don't think I want to deal with blood and feather everywhere again.
    Anne

6. GrammaGryphon

Jul 25, 2013
    Wimberley Texas
    Update-Paprika laid an egg a few minutes ago that was easily twice the size of her normal eggs today!!! Very Proud of my Girl.
    Anne

7. Majd

Jun 22, 2012
    Double yolker maybe!! :D

8. GrammaGryphon

Jul 25, 2013
    Wimberley Texas
    We ate it yesterday... It WAS kind of a double yolker... 2 fer!!!! Never seen the egg in egg thing b4. Totally bizarre! I wonder if it had anything to do with the pork bones we'd given her the day b4! RIGHT!!! Grins
    Anne

9. Majd

Jun 22, 2012
    The bones are good but won't affect double yolkers that fast... it will make good hard shells but on the long term it may help laying doubles because the chicken will be in good condition with no deficiencies....

10. GrammaGryphon

Jul 25, 2013
    Wimberley Texas
    Paprika has been laying 2 a day for about a week now, lovely eggs both of them!!! We joke that she's making up for the ones she ate. LOL!!!
    Anne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by