chickens just stopped laying

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mel81, Nov 4, 2013.

1. mel81

mel81 New Egg

May 19, 2013
    my hybrid hens are 10 months old. they have been on layer pellets from the day we got them. i have not changed the make or anything. there have not been any predators. there run and coop have no changed. in fact i am pretty certain everything is the same. they have just stopped laying quite suddenly for the last 3 weeks now. one of them has also lost all feathers from her neck. the other one is losing them all over which is not quite as noticeable. i have read that they do not molt in the first year. any ideas why they have stopped laying and for the feather loss. unfortunately i brought them for eggs and this is no longer happening. they have a good life and as i said above nothing has changed so i am stumped.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    In spite of what you read, it's pretty clear they are molting. They actually have partial molts well before a year old, and their schedule for the heavier molts is not all that predictable.

3. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Lots of things cause them to stop laying. Im not getting very many eggs right now either. I dont know where you live but weather/seasons changes because of lighting , molting, stress and a several others can cause this to happen. Im in Oregon & its the cloudy rainy seasons here plus a couple are molting. Its time to turn on the light for a few hours in the a.m. .

4. MaddiesMum

MaddiesMum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like a molt! Egg production almost always decreases during a molt, and along with this time of year many of our birds have stopped (or nearly stopped) laying for the winter! Don't worry, this is all normal!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by