Chickens keep dying of worms- please help!:(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PepperShots, Aug 7, 2014.

1. PepperShots

PepperShots New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    So basically 2 years ago we had some chickens and 2 of them died a good 6 months apart with exactly the same symptoms of droopy comb, lethargic, becoming really thin, diarrhoea and then dying after 3 or so weeks. We did worm them but it doesn't seem to make a difference; and after a year of no chickens we got some new ones and again the same thing has happened to one and she went skeletally thin and didn't eat and had diarrhoea and died tonight. We had been working them every few months and had been giving her lots of Flubenvet this week but it seemingly makes no difference and they die regardless. I am honestly disparing and am giving up on keeping chickens bc I can't keep them healthy:( if anyone could give ideas I'd be grateful, thanks x :

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What did you worm them with?

3. PepperShots

PepperShots New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    Flubenvet

4. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    It would be really helpful if you could post exactly how you worm them with Flubenvet.

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Have you ever treated them for lice/mites infestations...? If so, what products do you use ?

6. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    For example...
    ...how often you worm them
    ...do you re-treat 10 days after you initially treated them, or not
    ...do you treat them for 7 full days when you give the initial dose, as recommended,
    ...etc...

7. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    You say that they have died from worms..did you ever have any tests done that confirmed that the deaths were associated with worms ?

Just trying to help you out here..

2 people like this.
  8. ronmauldin

ronmauldin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2014
    Rhode Island
    I use food grade DE mixed with sand (which they nibble on) in their dust bath and occasionally feed cucumbers as a treat. Both are a natural dewormer and have never had a problem.

9. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    DE will not rid your chickens from a worm infestation...it does nothing for the internal system of a chicken..it works in a dry format to alleviate the potential problem of mites...once ingested it is ineffective...OK for dust baths but not a de-wormer...a de-wormer is a chemical based product...such as Safeguard or Panacur.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Flubenvet is a very good wormer without a withdrawal period. However it has to be mixed in feed for a certain amount of days and be eaten by your birds to be effective. The problem with wormers that are mixed in feed or water is that you don't know if your birds ate or drank enough of the product to be effective. Additionally if your birds were already sick....sick birds don't eat nor drink.
    Suzie is correct. You need to get fecal samples tested for worm oocysts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by