Chickens keep sleeping outside

Shashie88

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
My work schedule doesn't easily allow me to lock chickens up at night. When I come home at 4am they are allsleeping outside in the chicken run. Last night I put them all inside and then one by one placed them on their perch. Its been chilly 50's and rainy. Do they huddle outside due to liking it or stupidity? I'm home 4 nights this week I can try putting them in each night? Is it just a matter of consistancy?? Plzzz help

How long have you had them? Is it possible to keep them in their coop for several days? That may help them realize that that's where they're supposed to sleep. Others have suggested putting a nightlight in the coop so they will go in there in the evening. How secure is your run? Can they stay out there without being in danger?

Mine always do that when I first put them out in the coop. Usually after a weeks or tow, they figure it out on their own. Although I did have a couple pekins once that never would go inside. It could be dumping down the rain so hard that I could hardly breathe and they would be laying there in the run sound asleep, soaking wet. I ended up selling them to someone who free ranged them. They told me later on that one was killed by something in the middle of the night. After that, the other slept in the dog box with their beagle....
lol.png

yuckyuck.gif
It poured tonight[thunderstom] and mine were out.I was cutting the grass.I was afraid they were going to look up and drown!!!
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
Mine are pretty good about going to bed.They do like fighting over who goes where!!! Kevin

Chicks and 2turkeys are 7weeks. Gonna try just putting them in each night 4am or dusk whatever comes first. (( and I have insulation inside coop that they peck at it. Do they eat it? Its hard w a shiny outside which I'm sure is why they peck it. Just wondering how bad this is for them?

Back
Top Bottom