Chickens kicking their litter out of the run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mjd, Sep 11, 2011.

1. mjd

mjd New Egg

Sep 11, 2011
    Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and how you dealt with it.

We have a nice-sized run for our 3 girls, and we use DLM with pine shavings. The girls love to dig through the litter - but in doing so they are kicking the litter out through the hardware cloth so there's constantly a pile all around the structure.

We've been considering lining the inside of the run with some Plexiglas around the bottom, which would cut down on the escaping litter quite a bit. Does anyone see any problems with doing that?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this!

2. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Plexi would work fine for that. I was cheap and used plastic carpet runner/protector stuff around the bottom, but plexi would hold up forever!

3. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Anything will work...i.e. 1" x 6" fence boards, plexiglas, plywood, etc... The main idea here is to keep the shavings in. Very simple. good luck.
    Erik

4. mjd

mjd New Egg

Sep 11, 2011
    Thanks for the reply! How high up did you put yours? 8 inches? 12?

5. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Quote:I had rain issues as well, so I used the whole runner.

[​IMG]

6. mjd

mjd New Egg

Sep 11, 2011
    We're in the PNW too! Seattle, just a little North of downtown. We have part of our run roofed, and part without a roof, and on the drizzly days the chickens actually prefer being out in the drizzle! Weird.

Thanks a lot for the photo. I love seeing what other people have created. We've been lurking here a long time, and my husband used this site extensively when designing our coop.

Looks like it's time for a trip to Home Depot for some Plexi.....

7. zoelovesmom

zoelovesmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    I had the same problem, and all the litter outside the coop got rained on and nasty. I added metal mesh screening around the bottom, then I switched to sand instead of litter in the run. Still not crazy about the solution, as the sand has to be scooped like a cat box every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by