Chickens killing Chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stray, May 22, 2010.

1. Stray

Stray Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    OKC
    I just got back from my coop. I found one of my Cochins up there dead. Her comb was torn in two, and her wattles were gone. the back of her neck was exposed. I don't have a roo to blame. So, what would cause the other hens gang up on her? She was one of my healthiest birds, too.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Could be a pecking order fight. She may have stood up to the dominate hen and then got put in her place.

3. silkieowner

silkieowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    if it were me i would find out who did it then cull that bird. My saying is once they have a taste for blood there gone they will continue killing.

4. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you positive that the other chickens killed her? Is it possible a predator could have done it? Maybe a raccoon or weasel?

5. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    You'd think that if it were a pred, that other hens would be dead as well...but this is exactly what it sound like...hen pecking order...I see it already with my five I have...The two newest hens & healthiest are always pickin' on the lower weight birds...I've a rooster as well, & it seems that the roo is favoring the two healthy ones as well...my two heavyweights get along fine...seems my Austraulorp is the Alpha female, my RSL is the Beta & the other two hens are sub adults...but they're all the same age, just the two are less weight...

With that, I can see a fight with the RSL & my Austraulorp...them two used to battle for heirarchy 'til I got my Roo & 3rd hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by