Chickens killing each other...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AtlanticAcres, Jul 26, 2011.

1. AtlanticAcres

AtlanticAcres New Egg

May 16, 2011
    We lost a total of 12 meat birds... a few to racoons (which I trapped and sent on to come back as feed in the next life!). The other 10 were by chickens ganging up. Is this do to small house size?
    They are 12+ weeks. We wanted to grow them a little larger but we need to process over the next few days to prevent more loss.

TIA

AA.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    We processed ours at 10 weeks. Otherwise they seem to get tough...I would say to let them out to range and it may help...if they are confined in a small area then yes, that is prob the reason. If they peck and see blood on another bird they will get attacked and most likely killed [​IMG]
    ETA: how many sq feet per bird do you have? They should have at least three for meaties but most will recommend 4

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I start processing between 6 and 8 weeks. I assume from my own birds that often these can be cockerels and what do "roosters" act like? They need to fight for the top spot and these birds already have a stressed system (heart, lungs, airways) are small for that size body creating more issues for space, food and water.
    Most of the time these Cornish X birds have a difficult time surviving past 10 weeks, so you have done well.

As for the comment that Hangin wit my peeps made
    If they peck and see blood on another bird they will get attacked and most likely killed

toss in a red tomato! They dive on those, I did that the other day in hopes to train my turkey poults and a broiler nabbed that and RAN! [​IMG]

Good luck to you.​

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    toss in a red tomato! They dive on those, I did that the other day in hopes to train my turkey poults and a broiler nabbed that and RAN! lol

I never thought of that and wondered why mine loved tomato's so much! LOL *feeling dumb now* haha​

5. AtlanticAcres

AtlanticAcres New Egg

May 16, 2011
    They have a large run - roughly 40'x30' odd shape. They have two houses but only total around 90 sq ft between the two.

Even the odd time they slept outside they would all huddle together in an area less than 48 sq feet.

Lloyd

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    12+ weeks old depending upon strain is getting fairly old for meat breeds. Many varieties start developing health problems and dying at this point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by