Chickens Know Their Names

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FalcoSparverius, Aug 6, 2009.

1. FalcoSparverius

FalcoSparverius Wants a Custom Title

Jul 18, 2009
    Who has chickens that appear to know their names?

Three of mine respond to their names. Nasuada comes up to you when you call her, and so does Dotty when you call, "Dotty, peep peep peepÂ…". Minerva knows to run away as fast as possible when she's called.

Anyone else have birds like this?

2. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I do I do!!!!

I have 3 Mille Fluers the hens are Jukie and Roz and the roo is Kitty. they all come when called and follow me around the yard. If Kitty is being too rough with one of the girls I can call him and he will be more *gentlemanly*.

I also have Kathy the evil roo, I know, I know.... there's an identitiy crisis waiting to happen... He is really rough with the ladies (and some of the other boys) so he gets chastised alot and hence, knows his name.

Jukie will actually fly up when calledand land on my shoulder. Both she and Roz fly right to me at the slightest sign of danger. Kitty doesn't fly as well but he keeps an eye on me and if there's trouble he'll come a-runnin.

3. dkluzier

dkluzier Songster

Yes - I have one I named Kathy after my sister because she likes to chat to me. We have 17 chickens yet when I yell for her and she comes a clucking. She's my favorite cuckoo marans hen and the friendliest.

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Our three tamest (Butterscotch,Norma and Spot) do for sure. If the others do, they arent listening!

5. kezabel

kezabel Songster

I just yell out "Girls" and they all come running lol I think its a funny sight. One of our girls hears me open the back door and tehn flys up on to the fence to see if I am bringing them treats, She never jumps over the fence just sits on top.

I think the one that sits on the fence knows her name though, I say hello Lala and she clucks back at me

6. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    all mine know their names expecally clairese she will start yelling if her name is said so will the others except my rooster mike he doesnt know his name very well i dont say it that often

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: