chickens lay eggs outside

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by troyrmvp, Dec 2, 2008.

1. troyrmvp

troyrmvp New Egg

Dec 2, 2008
    I have 6 plymouth barred rock hens, and one mixed rooster. I have 5 nests about 20" off the ground and are 14"X14". They just started laying eggs(under 10 total) and from reading this forum I probably should be happy. The only problem is the lay outside, I let them out in the morning and there is nothing in the nests, a couple of times they have layed on the floor in the corner, but never in the nests.They go in the nests they just don't put any eggs in it.What could I be doing wrong.

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Try putting some golf balls or wooden eggs in the nesting boxes. My hens lay their eggs early in the morning, but if they didn't, I would keep them in the coop until they layed. Don't worry, they'll get the hang of it. I ocassionally find eggs on the coop floor. It's usually under the roost.

3. Rocky4052

Rocky4052 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    Southeastern Ma.
    Yes--the best bet is to keep them inside until after they've layed. That't what I do. They will get used to the boxes. The ones that lay on the floor will see the others in the boxes and follow suit, I'm sure.

4. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Yep, you'll be amazed at how well the fake egg thing works. It's like they see the fake egg and say "Oooh, lookey there I wanna lay an egg next to that one." Although I have one Buff Orp that insists on laying smack dab in the middle of the coop and most likely always will.

5. NCchickenlady

NCchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    raleigh
    Quote:I have silkies, They walk and drop!! LOL I have one now that uses the nest. How long do you leave the fake egg in the nest?

6. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    As long as it takes. I left some in there for a good while. One day I only had the golf balls in one box. When I went to check for eggs, there was 5 eggs in the box with the golf ball. Needless to say, I removed the golf balls after that.

7. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    My brother had problems with his birds laying outside, until he discovered that his kids were not cleaning out the nest boxes, and the birds simply wouldnt use them once they were soiled! Once he came down on them, and monitored thier work more closely, the problem stopped.

We also put fresh hay in the nest boxes on top of fresh shavings, and they love to make little nests in there.

Good Luck!

8. NCchickenlady

NCchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    raleigh
    Quote:I'll give it a try. I just moved my Cuckoo Marans in with the other chickens and found one very brown egg in the nesting box so I guess we have a good start with one anyway!!

9. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    I use old golf balls and just leave them in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by