1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens laying again!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hencrazy, Jan 9, 2011.

1. hencrazy

hencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Went out to the coop this morning to find 2 beautiful blue eggs in the nest boxes. They were of course already frozen since it's -18 this morning.

I did have to switch their food a couple months ago due to my feed store having problems getting Layena. Really hate this feed because it's crumbles and they waste a ton of it. Feed store just called me on Friday and they have Layena in stock again. Will my chickens stop laying if I switch their feed now?

2. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    Maybe they love the crumble and eat more of it? I am wondering the same thing. I started back on the crumble because they gobble that up. In fact, I am now making a mash out of the crumble every morning using hot water, a bit of other protein such as fish or meat, heating it up and feeding it to them first thing. That way during the day when they are foraging and eating all the weeds, they will have already had a good ration of protein. Not this is working LOL....haven't had an egg since Wednesday and my production from 6 hens is only about 5-6 per week. Making me frustrated!

Good luck--hope yours keeps up the eggs! [​IMG]

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

My hens are young and pretty consistent layers - I have 6 hens, and the fewest eggs I get per day is 3. Yesterday was a 3 because grandson and I worked on the coop, shoveled manure out of the run, put in fresh sand, etc, and they weren't relaxed enough to lay.

But on a normal day, with normal schedule, oatmeal breakfast, layena crumbles always in the feeder, if it is sunny, I get 6 eggs.
    If it is cloudy, I get 3 or 4 eggs.

The day I left the chickens loose in the yard in the rain I think I got 2 or 3. They ran around and didn't eat enough to lay maybe?

4. hencrazy

hencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I think I'm going to switch them back to the pellets. Probably better to do it now before everyone starts laying again after their winter break. Ended up with another egg this afternoon. I got to it before it had a chance to freeze. From what I've read on here Layena is one of the best feeds available. My only other options are what they are currently eating - not a clue who makes it. Otherwise there is a feed store that mixes their own but it's just their pig feed with calcium added plus it's a mash - yuck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by