Chickens laying all over coop?...

MTR

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Hello all,

I have some hens who are starting to lay. Super exciting times! Only issue is they are laying all over the coop (except one hen). I have ceramic eggs in the boxes now.
My next step was going to be to reduce the amount of bedding in the coop to discourage nesting other places but not sure if this would work. Suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I have done a couple things...
I take the eggs on the ground and put these in the nesting boxes, chickens are curious and they will check on them.
I have lectured my flock (this actually worked the best but I always talk to my animals and each flock member knows their name and respond to it).
It helps to have the older hens that went through the lecture showing the younger pullets where the egg belong.

Hello all,

I have some hens who are starting to lay. Super exciting times! Only issue is they are laying all over the coop (except one hen). I have ceramic eggs in the boxes now.
My next step was going to be to reduce the amount of bedding in the coop to discourage nesting other places but not sure if this would work. Suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Not unusual for pullets just starting to lay.
Don't think reducing floor bedding would help.
Are they actually digging out a nest to lay or just dropping eggs wherever?
Do you have different bedding in nests that what is on floor?
Pics of your nests might garner specific suggestions.

Not unusual for pullets just starting to lay.
Don't think reducing floor bedding would help.
Are they actually digging out a nest to lay or just dropping eggs wherever?
Do you have different bedding in nests that what is on floor?
Pics of your nests might garner specific suggestions.
The bedding is Straw. They are digging out nests and then laying in them. It is mostly straw in the coop - I have raised shelves for them to hang on that are wood chips but the floor of the coop and Nest boxes are straw. They are all laying in the straw.

Back
Top Bottom