Chickens laying at 17 weeks, done growing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Audreyschickens, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Audreyschickens

Audreyschickens In the Brooder

Nov 28, 2018
    I have 6 chickens that are 17 weeks old and they just started laying. They are still so small and in my experience with my other hens, once they lay their first few eggs they are about done growing. Is this the case with these next few? I’m worried that they will stay this small and they only way about 2-3 pounds. Any input would be appreciated :)

Melky and chickens really like this.
  2. what kinds of chickens are they? they will continue to grow, they are just "teens" now

Melky, Audreyschickens and Aceoky like this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Depends on breed but that's not too young to begin laying eggs. Won't stunt them at all. Provide oyster shell in a separate dish.

Melky, Audreyschickens and Aceoky like this.
  4. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    My Golden Comets, a sex-links chicken, Started to lay between 16.5 to 19 weeks and gained another pound to a pound and a half by the time they were a year old.
    I kept them on a 18% Protein feed for over a year.
    I then switched to a 16% Layers feed and experienced feather picking. After 3 bags I switched to a 18% Layers feed.
    32 months later, I feed a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18% or a All-Flock/Flock Raiser feed 20%, with Oyster Shells separately. Which ever is fresher when I'm at the store. GC

Audreyschickens and Aceoky like this.
  5. The young birds you have now are leghorns correct? thats a laying breed and they will have a smaller frame then some of your others, dont expect them to be as hefty as the rest of your flock

aart and Audreyschickens like this.
  6. Audreyschickens

Audreyschickens In the Brooder

Nov 28, 2018
    I have two leghorns, one silver laced wyandotte, one black sex link and 2 Rhode Island reds.

1cock2hens likes this.
  7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Many breeds take 2 years to fully mature and fill out.

rosemarythyme and aart like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: