Chickens laying first eggs/need advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by godoverh2o, Sep 22, 2011.

1. godoverh2o

godoverh2o New Egg

Apr 3, 2011
    Hi there, I am new to this whole chicken thing. I have one RIR and one Buff Orpington. They both just started laying eggs and I was wondering what everyone does with their eggs after collecting them. Thanks!

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Wash them and then use them in the place of storebought ones. They taste so much better!

I incubate a lot of mine, too. Must have a rooster for that, tho. [​IMG]

3. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Quote:As far as incubating them? Or storing them?

I put mine in the fridge and then eat them. No rooster, so I don't know anything about the hatching part.

4. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Collect eggs daily, wash & put in fridge. Use rather than nasty storebought eggs & if I have extras, sell/give to friends.

5. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I never wash the egg until i use them. I place them from the coop to a hanging basket in the kitchen. If i need one ill use it if not they all go in the bator a week or so later

6. godoverh2o

godoverh2o New Egg

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks! I guess that I should had clarified that. We will be eating the eggs. I had heard that you shouldn't wash them until you were ready to eat them, but wasn't sure if they should be refrigerated or not.

7. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    They keep longer in the fridge but can be left at room temp for several weeks or longer. Mine never last long enough to tell how long you can keep them either place.

8. swearnsue

swearnsue New Egg

May 7, 2009
    Collect them at least twice a day and put in an egg carton in the fridge with the pointy side down. Don't wash unless they get pooped on. Keep their nest clean. When you take them out of the carton to eat, start with the oldest first so that your eggs are always fresh. Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by