Chickens laying outside

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JHillgrove, Aug 2, 2011.

1. JHillgrove

JHillgrove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I have had chickens for 3 years. I have never had problems with chickens laying outside. They have always laid in the nesting boxes. But I have some young chickens who I got this spring, and they are doing weird things. Like roosting in trees, which I found they were doing that because the queen hen was potrolling the door at night, not letting them in.
    But now I am finding eggs in the yard, sometimes out in the open, and sometimes hidden in corners. I thought a rat was bringing them out and then getting scared off? But then I saw a hen laying an egg in a corner. Any ideas as to how to keep hens from laying outside? Have any of you had hens keep the other hens out of the coop? I am not sure how to fix it.
    I read from someone saying to let them out of the coop later in the day so they would have already laid their egg, but I dont let the out until 8 or 9 am and I find them laying late in the afternoon.

2. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    I know they would hate it, but keep them in for one whole day and see how many eggs you get. If you have a hen not letting them in the hen house that is why they are laying outside. Make a nest high up with a milk crate right outside the house for them so they can lay there.

3. JHillgrove

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Yes, they will surely hate that, but I will try it. The coop outside the door was a great idea. Thanks.

4. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Lock up comando-chicken for a few days...attitude adjustment.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Agree. The Queen is the problem. Deal with her.

6. JHillgrove

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    How do I go about "dealing with her"? If I shut her up for a few days wouldn't she come out just as bossy as ever before?
    I dont even know how she became queen, I never saw how it went down. I thought my Red Sexlink was queen then I saw this one kicking the chicks out of the coop!

7. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Lock her up,,, put her in a separate cage for a few days. It will take her down a notch or two in the pecking order.

8. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
  9. JHillgrove

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Quote:This is great. Ok I will try this too. I will just have to catch her, she is one that never pays any attention to me. I might have to wait till dark. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by