Chickens Laying Smaller Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leapingheart, Jan 20, 2009.

1. leapingheart

leapingheart New Egg

Jan 20, 2009
    Hello -

My girls seem to be laying smaller eggs these days? Can anyone help with reasons why? I haven't changed anything.

Thanks

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are a bit smaller now, I expect an increase as the days get longer. Hey- your girls are LAYING! [​IMG]

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Mine are smaller right now too. [​IMG]

4. leapingheart

leapingheart New Egg

Jan 20, 2009
    Hey fellow Chix lovers...thanks for the response...now i dont feel so bad.

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    If dehydration during the heat of Summer reduces egg size, dehydration during anytime of the year could do the same.

An egg is over 75% water. Water is added to the egg at the same time as the building of the shell is going on. Since everything in the egg is "surplus" - if there is inadequate water available, the shell forms around a small egg.

Cold, dry air is dehydrating and it is easy for coops to have water supply problems with the freezing Winter temperatures.

Steve

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Our ladies very definitely lay smaller eggs in colder weather and when they get less light. Stinks too, because we sell eggs and our "mixed size" cartons are actually sized to be only mediums and larger. We sell smalls for a nominal price separately. On really cold weeks, before we got some heat lamps and a light on a timer, we would get almost a third small eggs.

Two heat lamps and 14 hours of light a day have made a huge difference. Now we get maybe 1 out of 24 eggs as a small.

I don't think that it is a dehydration problem, at least in our case. Our coop hasn't had any water supply problems.

Erika

7. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

I was getting maybe one or two small eggs until the last cold spell.... the girls all have adequate fresh water and the heat lamp runs 24/7. The only difference is the deep cold.... I'm getting about a half dozen small eggs a day now... the dog loves it - he gets the smalls [​IMG]

8. leapingheart

leapingheart New Egg

Jan 20, 2009
    Thanks for all the responses. This is my first winter with my girls. I have an 8 gallon galvanized steel water fount which is always filled and has a heated base so the water doesnt freeze. they get plenty of feed and goodies too. It must be the cold. It has been brutally cold here. Since it's warmed up a bit past few days, the eggs have gotten a little bigger.

Stephanie

9. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Whew--am I glad I read this thread! I also am getting some smaller eggs and I was worried that there was an issue with my hens but since it is happening to others, I think it will be okay. They haven't had any water shortages since I have heated bases for my waterers, so that isn't the problem, for me, anyway. Thanks for the info! Genie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by