chickens leaving the yard

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kendall Chicks, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Kendall Chicks

Kendall Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    Merrimack
    I let them out as usual this morning. I thougt since it is raining that maybe they would stay in the coop or atleast pretty close to it. I guess I was wrong. I looked out the door like I always do to check up n them and low an behold they were all the way into my neighbors yard!!! Now can someone tell me how come and how to keep them from leaving there yard?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

A fence is the only way to keep them in your yard.....and even then you may have to clip a wing or two! [​IMG]

3. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I have learned that chickens are like cats: unless constrained they go where they want. I, too, was letting my hens free range all day, until they free ranged themselves on to my neighbor's patio. Now they only get out of their run for about 3 to 4 hours. Since I've shortened their time outside the run, they haven't wandered off our three acres. I only let them out when I'm home, though, and try to keep an eye on them. I want happy neighbors!!

4. Kendall Chicks

Kendall Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    Merrimack
    Quote:Anyone else have some ideas????

5. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

vstoltzfus is right.

Chickens explore. A 6' fence will usually stop them but even then you may need to clip their wings to prevent them from flying over.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yep, a fence is your only hope of keeping them in your yard.

7. lighttocarry

lighttocarry New Egg

Apr 14, 2011
    I'm trying to figure out if I can leave my three hens out during the day while I'm gone. I have a enclosed four wall area where I'm putting the coop which is 25x25 with more that 12' concrete walls, which are then coupled with even higher wire/wooden fences. The floor and walls are concrete and while certianly raccoons can get down there at night, I'm obviously building a nice coop with a decent run.

Think I could leave the girls out during the days I'll be home before dark for or is it just more smart to let them out for a few hours in the mornings and then put them back in the coop for the rest of the day?

8. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    at least its not the road! thats why my girls have a 6 foot live stock fence and u shouldt have a problem with wings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by