Chickens Leg Turning Gray ??

BGosselin

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2019
Hi All -
I’m a little concerned about one of my girls. She’s a Rhode Island Red & about 6 months old. Last night we had our first night in the teens (16) so I’m worried it’s the onset of frostbite. They have a coop that isn’t drafty but some of them roost up high and some of them lay in extra nesting boxes (with or without bedding)

One of her legs is still yellow while the other one is turning. I caught her holding it up to her body today standing on one leg too. I brought her inside for a bit and tried to warm her up but I have no clue if that’s even the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help
Photos attachedView attachment 1955521

Attachments

• 55A58BA5-6B75-4F0E-949D-BEC0925528D6.jpeg
    55A58BA5-6B75-4F0E-949D-BEC0925528D6.jpeg
    522.5 KB · Views: 53
I do not think it's a problem of the cold. Check her thigh/legs/feet for something wrapped around cutting circulation. Look very carefully as it may be hard to see; a thread.

It looks bruised and maybe swollen. Is she missing a toe tip? Does she walk on it at all? Check it and compare by feeling all the toes, joints, ankle, etc, and compare with the other foot. Any fractures obvious? It may just be sprained and really sore, in which case rest and time will solve it. That can happen if they jump too far, land wonky, or get a foot or leg caught and struggle and yank to get it loose. Soaking in warm epsom salts can help with pain and swelling.

Great suggestions! Thank you. I will do both of these things. I was touching her leg a lot today and she didn’t seem to be in pain like a fracture. she walks fine but I did catch her standing on one leg for a while today. Will keep an eye out! I’m just glad it’s not from the cold

Back
Top Bottom