chickens locked out of coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by polkadottie99, May 23, 2019.

1. polkadottie99

polkadottie99 Hatching

May 23, 2019
    I spent five days away from home last weekend, and my chickens managed to get out of the chicken run and spent the time in the forested area. They seem well, and the forest floor is completely pocked with holes where I imagine they were digging for bugs. They have not been laying well since (six chickens, two eggs in two days). I do not know where their source of water was, though the property is adjacent to a swamp. My question: does egg production usually drop when feed or water are scarce?

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Egg production can drop off and completely stop from stress. Being locked out of their coop and kept away from their food, water and shelter I'm sure was very stressful.
    I'd wet some of their food and put some poultry nutri-drench in it and feed this mash to them in the morning for several days while keeping their normal ration available during all waking hours as well. I would also put electrolytes in their water for about 3 days. They need to recover from their ordeal.
    It seems a common practice to leave chickens extra food and water and assume they will fend for themselves just fine. Chickens have an amazing ability to get themselves into trouble, as you found out. It would be best to try to find someone to check on them at least once a day when you cannot do so yourself. I hope they recover quickly!

3. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    This is great advice! I hope they're happy and laying very quickly!

chrissynemetz and DobieLover like this.
  4. polkadottie99

polkadottie99 Hatching

May 23, 2019
    Thank you, Dobielover, I will have to figure out a way to secure that door better today. And I will head to the feed store and get the electrolytes and nutri-drench. Are there other times you use the electrolytes>

5. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Yes. I use electrolytes in times of extreme heat. I provide both plain fresh water and another dispenser with electrolyte water. I will also use it any time the chickens experience stress.

BTW - Welcome to BYC! You should introduce yourself to the community!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I also use it in the winter when it's really cold(soaked up in rolled oats),
    definitely helps with cold stress too.

It can for sure...they also might be laying out in their range area.
    Might want to confine them to the coop and run for a week to see if they are laying and to 'home' them back to the coop nests.

Welcome to BYC! @polkadottie99
    Where in this world are you located?
    Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
    Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
    upload_2019-5-24_7-33-12.png

DobieLover likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: