Chickens locked up for cold and picking on echather

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by boomercide, Feb 11, 2016.

1. boomercide

boomercide Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2015
    Chatham ny
    I have locked my birds up becouse we have snow now and they won't go out in the snow but now it's been a couple Of days now and they have started picking on one of my birds they have taken all the feathers out of her neck I have a big coop so they have room I also put a flock block in there for the. Too peck at what do I do tho now too get them too stop befoure I locked them up I did not have any such problem like this but I can't get them out in the snow so I'm lost on what too do

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's not too cold for chickens, and they may not like walking about on snow until they get used to it, but they will get used to it.

Some people reserve a few bales of straw to spread out on top the snow so the chickens have something to walk on and scratch in. Or you can save bags of leaves to use that way next winter.

Or you can do what I do. I shovel paths around the outside and they take right to the cleared areas, glad to be out.

I do have a covered run with side panels that keep the snow out, so that's something you might want to consider for the future.

But please, please do your chickens a favor and kick them out of the coop, even if you have to fling the little darlings out into a snow bank. They're trying to tell you how desperate they are by their extreme behavior.

2 people like this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    How many birds do you have and how much space? They shouldn't be going after one another after being cooped up for just 2 days.

1 person likes this.
  5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Yes, please put some hay, straw, shaving or used bedding down on the snow and chase them outside, then throw them some scratch. My birds only stay inside if it's snowing, otherwise they go outside, no one likes standing on the snow, it's cold, and walking through it is scary because they don't know how deep it is, so make it inviting, I use hay because they also pick through it and eat stuff, it serves two purposes.

6. boomercide

Nov 2, 2015
    Chatham ny
    My coop is like 8 by 12 and I only have 6 birds at this time but that size coop I would figure would support at least 24 birds so 6 of them I can't see why they are getting so bored and pecking the ones feathers out it is there first winter and they are use too being outside all the time but I figured the cracked corn and flock block would of kept them entertained for this spell

7. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    x2

x2 again

Whether their behavior makes sense or not, they are telling you through their actions that they are not happy inside. They need outside time.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What all are you feeding them?
    Flock block and scratch are kind of junk food/treats.... unless they are getting lots of protein from their regular feed ration.

Did all 6 birds grow up together?

Are there places in the coop where they can get away from one another...extra roosts, stump, concrete blocks, etc?

9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The only time I had a pecking problem was years ago, like you I locked them in their pen for a few days, they pecked the crest of a polish rooster so bad we culled him, since then I don't confine my large breeds, my bantam can handle more confinement. I keep the coops open and block the prevailing winds, the chickens always have the option of going out.

Imagine if you were confined to your living room only with multiple members of your family for days, it's the same with chickens, some would be fine, others like me might start fighting.

10. boomercide

Nov 2, 2015
    Chatham ny
    Yes all my birds grew up with one anther and they are getting a good blue seal brand layer feed with a small amount of cracked corn in a separate dish as a treat the flock block was only put in there when I had too lock them up becouse of the bad weather it's not a main source of food for them and I don't use scratch at all for them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by