Chickens looking ratty..... PICS ADDED! POST # 8

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nuttyredhead, Dec 24, 2011.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Not sure how to describe it. I have checked for lice/mites cant seem to find anything. Tails are looking straggly, on is missing feathers off her chest. Seem to have black spots on some of them, little tiny black dots. (cant find that this is lice/mites) the spots arent moving. They are 7 months old, a little young for a molt. I was thinking of dusting with sevins to rule anything out....not sure though..

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Dusting them wouldn't hurt. I've heard of chickens that young going in to molt, but it doesn't happen a lot from what I understand. Also, could you have a rooster that was mounting them too often? Or maybe there is a very aggresive feather picker in the flock.
    Good luck
    -Roxy

3. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Try to post a picture. Doubtful it is a molt so early, but you never know.

4. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:Thanks to both of you for posting back. I will try to get out to the coop and get a pic.

5. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    I've been putting food grade DE in my nesting boxes for quite a while, and I also add it to the area where my hens like to dust bath. Other than getting really dusty sometimes, the girls have been parasite free [so far.....knock wood].

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:Here is a link I keep on hand for future reference. So far I have not had to deal with either mites or lice, but I know some day I will. Hopefully the pictures and descriptions will help you decide what you are dealing with. The chart at the bottom describes mites as slow moving. If you suspect that your birds have either mites or lice, I agree it won't hurt to treat them. On the other hand, if you do have an infestation and you don't treat them, your chickens can keep getting weaker and death may result. Good luck and keep us posted.
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

7. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Hope its just lice.[​IMG] That is easy to cure compared to a feather picker.[​IMG]

8. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Here are the pics i was able to get of her. I did notice she was pulling feathers of all her friends today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. THELMA

THELMA Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2009
    I think its definitely a possibility you have a feather plucker. Once they start pulling them out as soon as feathers start to grow back they will pluck them again. I cured my hen off it with spraying the plucked hens with netex anti pecking spray. I reapplied this every few days and eventually it stopped and my hens are back to full feathering.

10. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:Can she pluck them from there herself?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by