Chickens loosing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chick Magnet040, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Chick Magnet040

Chick Magnet040 New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    For the past few days I noticed my chickens have been losing feathers a lot and the other day they had a whole lot more missing. It's 2 chickens that are loosing feathers. We put on chicken lotion that is suposed to discourage them from plucking themselves incase they were pulling their own feathers. Anyways because of the lotion they have the bald spots dyed purple. I'm just wondering if anyone has thoughts of what it is/ what is happening.
    The picture is of the one with the most missing feathers.[​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    WELCOME TO BYC!!

Your bird is molting. This usually happens once a year. Those little spikes you see will soon open up to reveal new feathers. Your bird will look brand new when this is done. In the meantime, expect eggs production to decrease or stop. Also, you need to feed you birds lots of extra protein as feathers take up 85% of their protein.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

3. Chick Magnet040

Chick Magnet040 New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    Ok thank you so much! Now I don't have to worry as much. I also didn't notice no eggs because for some reason only my biggest bird laid eggs for the past 2 years

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by